City of Deer River Municipal Ordinances
5.205 R- RESIDENCE DISTRICT
Subdivision 1. Purpose.
The R, Residence District, is intended to provide areas suitable for location of single family homes as well as apartment buildings, townhouses, and generally, medium density residential uses that will ensure a wholesome living environment and which effectively relate to the comprehensive plan for community development. The R District shall be separated as follows: Amended 08-12-96
a. R-1 Residence District: all land zoned residential north of Highway 2, in which the minimum required lot width shall be 75 feet.
b. R-2 Residence District: all land zoned residential south of Highway 2, in which the minimum
required lot width is 50 feet.
Subdivision 2. Permitted Principal Uses.
Within an R District, unless otherwise permitted by this Ordinance, no uses are permitted except the following:
1. One and two family detached dwellings provided they have a minimum width of 24 feet.
2. Apartment buildings and multiple dwelling structures housing from three to twelve units.
3. Attached housing and townhouse development.
4. Parks and recreational areas owned or operated by governmental agencies.
5. Public elementary or high schools, or private schools with an equivalent curriculum.
6. Churches, hospitals, nursing homes and convalescent homes or housing for the elderly, provided that no building shall be located within fifty (50) feet of an abutting single family lot boundary within any residence district, unless a lesser setback is granted by a conditional use permit. Amended 04-13-98
7. Boarding houses or rental of rooms from three to twelve persons on a premises.