City of Deer River Municipal Ordinances
Amended 11-13-12 and published 11-22-12
SOCIAL HOST ORDINANCE #XV
(A) Purpose and Findings. The City of Deer River intends to discourage underage possession and consumption of alcohol, even if done within the confines of a private residence, and intends to hold persons criminally responsible who host events or gatherings where persons under 21years of age possess or consume alcohol regardless of whether the person hosting the event or gathering supplied the alcohol. The Deer River City Council finds that:
(1) Events and gatherings held on private or public property where alcohol is possessed or consumed by persons under the age of twenty-one are harmful to those persons and constitute a potential threat to public health requiring prevention or abatement.
(2) Prohibiting underage consumption acts to protect underage persons, as well as the general public, from injuries related to alcohol consumption, such as alcohol overdose or alcohol-related traffic collisions.
(3) Alcohol is an addictive drug which, if used irresponsibly, could have drastic effects on those who use it as well as those who are affected by the actions of an irresponsible user.
(4) Often, events or gatherings involving underage possession and consumption occur outside the presence of parents. However, there are times when the parent(s) is/are present and, condone
the activity, and in some circumstances provide the alcohol.
(5) Even though giving or furnishing alcohol to an underage person is a crime, it is difficult to prove, and an ordinance is necessary to help further combat underage consumption.
(6) A deterrent effect will be created by holding a person criminally responsible for hosting an event or gathering where underage possession or consumption occurs.
(B) Authority. This ordinance is enacted pursuant to Minn. Stat. §145A.OS.